Chairman’s announcementsThe chairman welcomed the Dark Skies Project Officer for the Friends of the Lake District and asked for volunteers to be a liaison to work for dark Sky Accreditation. A communication from Ullswater Yacht Club who are looking to open their grounds for the use of members. Members were notified of UCLAN public lectures in Lancaster and Preston during October 2018. Members asked to finalise their requests to visit Alston Observatory after the next meeting on Tuesday 2nd October.
Astronomical NewsTwo news roundups were given by two members. Galaxy news links:
- Galaxy evolution hiatus 1: Milky Ways second life
- Galaxy evolution hiatus 2: Earliest galaxies found ‘on our cosmic doorstep’
- Earliest/most distant/ largest redshift galaxy record broken after 20 years
More Astronomical News
- New Horizons approaching Kuiper Belt Objects
- Japan’s Hayabusa2 landing site on an asteroid
- OSIRIS-REx ‘s first images of asteroid Bennu
- Nasa’s chemical sniffer retires
- First mass eruption from a star that’s not the sun
Arising from question Why Mars farther than other planets from Ecliptic last year. Planetary orbits are inclined to the ecliptic plane by up to 6° (maximum reached by the planet Mercury). The Ecliptic coordinate system, Celestial equator, Ecliptic and Celestial poles were covered as well as equinoxes.
Not to be confused with the orbit shape ‘ecliptic’ the word comes from the fact that when the moon crosses the ecliptic we experience an eclipse.